Recent research by Children's Hospital of Michigan found that only 1 in 5 teachers have CPR certification!
Considering that our children spend the majority of their waking hours in the school building each day this is not good news. One nurse (if you are lucky enough to have one at your child's school full time) cannot handle any health emergency that arises in the classroom. I firmly believe all teachers at all grade levels should be required to maintain current CPR & first aid certifications.
Note- I realize there are courses through American Heart Association that are not certified courses that teach all the basic appropriate info. I still advocate for certified course requirements. For teachers it would mean a few hours of training time every 1-2 years, but the information & skills gained could save countless children's lives.
Saturday, September 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment