Today I listened to a nurse peer of mine speak. She is an engaging speaker. She gets rave reviews in course evaluations on a consistent basis...But she had no references, no data, no evidence to support her claims. Interesting - Yes! Credible - No! How sad! What kind of impression is this making on the student's in this class? Will they now doubt all the material given to them in this class? That's my fear. But after some consideration I think most nurses (probably most adults) think like I do. They ponder - you know, chew things over & then spit out what is unacceptable, not validated. Nonetheless, it is my responsibility (although I don't think it'll be fun) to guide this colleague to EBP (evidence-based practice). She will have to include research & personal experience to support her claims.
For those who are outside of health care - Is evidence important to you?
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We have to deal with this all the time in education and staff development. We call it Data Driven Decision Making and we work on it all the time.
Thanks for the update on reunion stuff this weekend. You are sweet to invite me. I am not sure if I will make it or not. I am still dealing with the shock of my own. HA!
I can't tell you how frustrated I become with people who don't assess the truth and validity in things they hear. I just can't understand how you can be a thinking adult and not constantly look at the things you have been/ are being told to see if they make sense and are sound. I find that as I age I am constantly assesing the things I was taught as a child to make sure they are true.
Post a Comment