Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Reading, Reading, & More Reading

I decided I would read all the books in our home library & my office library - I figure what's the point in having them if I don't utilize them.
So I am trying to read for a little while each morning after my quiet time. I read about a different topic/from a different source each day.

Since 2006 began I have completed the following 3 books:
"Everyday Evangelism" by Randy Becton
"How to Raise your Self-Esteem" by Nathaniel Branden
"Good to Great" by Jim Collins

"Everyday Evangelism" is great & short (less than 100 pages). It is inspirational to anyone who would like to incorporate sharing their faith throughout their everyday life. Randy Becton is an amazing person & I think it makes the book more meaningful to me. He taught a class at ACU titled Everyday Evangelism, and John & I have loved him since. Please pray that he willed be healed from cancer (it's his third battle).

"How to Raise your Self-Esteem" is okay. It has lots of questions & activities for self-reflection (which I liked, but I thought it was a bit excessive). I also felt like the author had a slightly different value system than I do...but it was worthwhile. In conclusion he correlates increased self-understanding with an increased understanding of others - which I think is true.

"Good to Great" shares the conclusions from a study of companies that went from average to greater than 3 times the average stock market value & then sustained those high numbers for at least fifteen years. It shares the common characteristics of these great companies & encourages you (& your company) to emulate those characteristics. It's a nerdy read, but great for anyone in management/leadership.

No comments: